Thursday, July 17, 2008

We Traveled to Minnesota in a Mini-van...

...And lived to tell about it.
Barely! We'd never, never, NEVER recommend a long road trip with two (or even one!) 10-month-olds. The first time we tried driving through the night, thinking they'd sleep most of it. Wrong. The second time, on the way home, we tried splitting it into two days and stopping a lot, every 100 miles or less, to give them a break. Still plenty of torture for one and all. They got their first stay in a hotel. They traveled through three states (Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota), so that is something they can mark down as "accomplishing" in their first year!





We went to see my people, dearest friends and mentor, Zara's middle name-sake, Sharon Johnson.

I walked up the street that I grew up on, Zieglers Drive, with my best friend from college, Alyssa, and my children. She kindly took a photo of me and my kiddos in front of the house I grew up in. Roman kindly thrust his legs in the air, just for "kicks!"


We spent a wonderful week full of laid back, quality time with "Grandpa Ray and Grandma Sharon." I myself enjoyed a couple of very brief outtings without the kiddos, one with my friend Alyssa and one with Kristi. Lots of hard laughter and some tears, too, all very good!

The kids did their best with the disrupted routines. They slept in pack-n-plays, and of course Sharon the baby sitter extraordinaire had plenty of toys and equipment on hand.

I got to see ALL the Johnson boys togthether again, too. I hadn't seen Doug, Jer, or Danny in over 10 years! These are the guys that I "grew up" with. Some of them, who shall remain unnamed, tortured me a little, and gave me what (very) little toughness I acquired in the pseudo little-sister role. Todd has always said I should have had older brothers to toughen me up. I tell him I did, and he rolls his eyes. I guess the Johnson men were too "nice."

Sharon and Ray took us out to a fun Mexian place near their place. The babies enjoyed refried beans. Here they are in their dinner chairs waitng for the food, and Zara in the photo alone looks like she's getting pretty anxious for that food to arrive!
























I got to see the three "Joyce Girls" that I grew up with at Sharon's house, Ellen, Deirdre, and Kathleen (can you tell they're Irish?!) Here is a pic of me with Ellen on the right and Deirdre on the left.


I also got a photo of most of the offspring of the Joyce girls and my kiddos! Ellen's eldest, Ailee, was gone at camp, and of course Kathleen's eldest, Sean, passed away at age 10 March 2007. They all miss him terribly. This grieving process is still in full force in Minnesota amongst "my people" and I tried to engage in it as much as I could with them. Pictured on Sharon's couch (where else would we convene?) are: Sage Joyce, Zara, Roman, Maeve Snapko (Ellen's), Keira Snapko, and Clare Snapko.




My best friend from high school hosted a yummy burger dinner for us and I got to see her dear parents for the first time in at least 10 years as well! So many reunions, it was a wonderful but exhausting trip. And believe it or not, we are planning to go to Boise, Idaho on July 23rd for a full week! We are flying this time, and hopefully that will be more endurable.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the kiddo pictures...z looks likes she's not too sure.

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi!

Just came across your email with your blog link and had a minute to take a look.

The kids look great! Sounds like MN was a fantastic trip down memory lane. I love those types of trips.

All is well here. Anna is HUGE at over 25 lbs and 29" as of her 9 mo appointment just about a month ago. No crawling here though.
She's working on it.

I'll try to write again soon. Gotta get to bed now! Hugs to you and yours. Jen